Parent Visa

Call us to book a consultation
+61 400-773-112

    Contact Us

    Parent Visa

    Parent Visas enable parents of children who are Australian citizens or permanent residents to be sponsored for temporary or permanent residence in Australia. There are currently two different types of visa; the faster, more expensive Contributory Parent visa, and the slower, less expensive standard Parent visa. Please note: The Temporary Sponsored Parent visa is discussed separately.

    Initial review and assessment.
    After review, your application is prepared and submitted to department.
    Visa Outcome
    Based on the processing timelines, an outcome is delivered by department.

    Other Information

    Duration and Conditions

    All permanent parent visas have the right to remain in Australia indefinitely, but a travel validity of 5 years from grant. The Contributory Parent (temporary) visas are valid for 2 years, during which time the applicant must lodge a permanent Contributory Parent visa application.


    The main criteria are as follows:

    1. The parent must be sponsored by a child who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The sponsor must be “settled" – generally, this means lawfully resident in Australia for at least 2 years, though a shorter time may be acceptable for Australian Citizens.
    2. The applicant must pass the “balance of family test". That is, the number of children who are lawfully and permanently resident in Australia must be:
      • Greater than, or equal to, the total number of children who are resident overseas; or
      • Greater than the greatest number of children who are resident in any single overseas country.
    3. An assurance of support is required in all cases.


    Depending on the situation, the parent visa can be availed under the following,

    • Offshore application – Parent Visa (Subclass 143 or 173)
    • Onshore applications – Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 804) and Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864)


    • Age of the parent should be under 65 years
    • Applicants should meet the ‘Balance of family’ test
    • Affordability to make a non-refundable deposit to the Government of Australia per migrating parent
    • Visa processing time of approximately 24 months or more
    • Parents should pass the authorised health and police checks

    On the contrary, the onshore applications need the parents to be 65 years or above. These applicants can enter Australia on a visitor or tourist visa without the ‘No Further Stay’ condition. The parents can apply for the valid parent visa whilst in Australia.


    Known for its long processing time, over 25 years, this visa allows the parents to live in Australia till the decision is pending. These parent applicants hold Bridging Visa A and should apply for Bridging Visa B if they want to temporarily depart from Australia.


    This is a permanent visa, allowing the parent to,

    • Stay indefinitely in Australia or apply for citizenship
    • Study or work in Australia
    • Enrol in Medicare Australia
    • Sponsor eligible family members for permanent residency
    • Travel to and from Australia upto 5 years from the date the visa was granted

    Can I be in Australian when I apply?

    It is possible to apply for a Parent visa from within Australia, however, it is only possible to lodge an onshore Aged Parent or Aged Contributory Parent visa and obtain a bridging visa to remain in Australia during processing if at least one of the applicants meets the age requirements as set for an Australian pension, as follows:

    Period within which a person was born

    Pension Age

    Date pension age changes

    From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955

    66 years

    1 July 2019

    From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956

    66 years and 6 months

    1 July 2021

    From 1 January 1957 onwards

    67 years

    1 July 2023

    Talk to us

    Raman Doegar

    MARN: 1797422

    Oceania Immigration Advisory Pvt. Ltd is a private immigration consultant organisation founded by Mr. Raman Doegar, a registered migration agent (MARN: 1797422 ) with Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) and a Member of Migration Institute of Australia(MIA). A master in his field and passionately dedicated to it, Mr. Raman provides comprehensive and personalized services to his clients. Raman moved to Australia in 1999 as a student and completed his education from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University (RMIT University) in the field of Bachelors of Applied Science-Hospitality Management. He held various senior leadership and management oles in the hotel industry especially in 5-star properties for over 15 years. Raman has over 9 years of experience in the education sector delivering education services in the field of Business and Hospitality across diverse courses ranging from diploma to bachelors level and in the range of RTOs and Universities.